The Youth Services Social Worker is responsible for fulfilling the JVS mission by providing intensive case management services for youth social work clients.The Social Work Program is focused on holistic, culturally competent social work interventions, based on strengths, empowerment, and ecological perspectives and adherence to the NASW Social Work Code of Ethics. These culturally competent interventions utilize multicultural and language abilities of staff, as well as trained contracted interpreters. Types of interventions, as well as frequency and intensity of services, are driven by the needs of each client. Case management services cover a range of issues including mental health services, assistance accessing physical health services, increased knowledge of women’s rights, increased understanding of DV/sexual assault and increased knowledge/access to community resources. The majority of social work clients are refugees who come from diverse backgrounds. Building and maintaining positive relationship with clients, communities, and agencies is an integral part of the position.
Licensed Master of Social Work degree preferred; experience working with diverse cultures; AND two years experience working in a social service field or related capacity; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Must have own car with appropriate auto insurance.
- Maintains caseload of 15-20 youth clients (ages 11-18) as main referred client, and their families
- Receives and discusses referrals with JVS staff, community partner agencies
- Connects with families, counselors, coaches, schools and staff within schools, builds good relationships with those involved with youth’s life in order to help build natural supports in youth’s life
- Meets with Youth Services Manager for supervision
- Attends Social Work Department team meetings, case presentations, team events etc.
- Attends relevant community meetings such as refugee immigrant forums, Language Services community meetings, other related partner meetings
- Coordinates and attends monthly team meetings with KCPS
- Provides intensive, therapeutic case management services to clients as needed including basic needs, connecting to physical or mental healthcare
resources, pregnancy healthcare and supply navigation, working with schools and overall school district to ensure school needs are met, assisting to improve quality of life overall
- Serves as main liaison with school district for students who need IEPs or 504 plans or are identified as having special needs
- Attends youth-specific trainings and CEUs events as determined with manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of social work values and ethics, as delineated in the NASW Code of Ethics
- Knowledge and experience of advanced generalist Social Work practice, thereby enabling practice and oversight of individual, family, group, and community social work interventions
- Care and passion for the wellbeing of youth clients
- Ability to establish and develop relationships with JVS staff/community agencies/partners
- Ability to be self-directed and highly flexible in daily work.
- Ability to recognize and respect cultural and ethnic differences
- Knowledge and understanding of trauma and domestic violence
- Knowledge and/or willingness to learn and identify a wide range of community resources
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and willingness to learn/utilize JVS database
Please submit resume and cover letter if you are interested in being considered.