Volunteering at JVS is a great way to give back to the community. As a volunteer, you can work as many or as few hours as you would like and on any days you would like. JVS volunteer opportunities are:
- Primarily Monday thru Friday, weekends by appointment
- Generally between 8 AM to 5 PM, extended hours by appointment
- From 2 up to 40 hrs/week
- Employment Support: Working with clients on their computer skills, identifying job leads for clients, researching and securing speakers for Job Club and Skills Training Program.
- Office Support:General clerical duties, including making copies, filing and making intake packets.
- Global Gardens Project: Work alongside our refugee growers at one of our community garden sites! Possible activities include: helping prepare the garden for planting (cleaning up debris and trash, tilling the soil, shoveling compost, mulching the walkways, setting up a trellis, etc.); help winterize the garden at the end of the growing season. Group workdays for general garden maintenance will take place periodically throughout the growing season. We can use donations of garden tools, produce scales, buckets, hoses, etc. – all in good condition. For specific, up-to-date needs, please contact Sarah: 816-629-8893
- Warehouse Support:Picking up donations, sorting donated items.
- Community Events:We also offer many community events throughout the year, and we are always looking for volunteers to assist in the planning and implementation of our special events!
- Refugee Rides: A volunteer-based transportation program together with JFS and JVS for refugees. The program provides transportation to doctor’s appointments, school programs, and cultural activities to help refugees access needed services and adjust to life in Kansas City. For more information on Refugee Rides contact email@example.com
JVS internships are a one-of-a kind learning experience. They provide individuals with meaningful jobs that make an impact firsthand. As an intern, you are given a specific position or project that you are responsible for completing. JVS internships are:
- Monday thru Friday only
- Only between 8 AM to 5 PM
- From 8 up to 40 hrs/week
- Unpaid, 3 month minimum required
Refugee Cultural Orientation
- Teaching Classes- Develop and deliver weekly orientations for new clients on subjects including Health, Hygiene and Nutrition; Safety, Rights and Laws; and Bills, Leases and Budgets.
- Bus Training-Help refugees navigate the public transportation system so that they can get to work, run errands and visit family and friends.
Refugee Children Services
- School Liaison- Enroll refugee children in school and show families where the school is located in their neighborhood so that they feel comfortable attending school the first day with their child.
- Student Advocate- Help students with barriers receive the same access to services as their typical peers so that they may succeed academically.
Refugee Resettlement Support
- Employment Aide- Help refugee clients fill out employment applications and transport clients to job interviews.
- Housing Aide- Set up apartments and houses for refugees. Pick up donations around the Kansas City community.
- Medical Case Aide- Assist clients in getting to doctor’s appointments, help with scheduling appointments, assist with health screenings scheduling interpreters.
For more information about our volunteer and intern opportunities or about our next scheduled Volunteer Orientation contact:
Martin Okpareke, Community Outreach and Volunteer Manager