JVS Career Navigation AmeriCorps VISTA
JVS Career Navigation Program aims to move clients beyond entry level work by providing career pathway resources to increase job satisfaction and financial stability. The program works with community partners to create career maps; counsel clients on career pathways; and connect clients to education, training and mentors.
JVS Career Navigation Program works with existing JVS Employment Programs to expand career opportunities with the goal of increasing job satisfaction and financial stability. JVS Employment Programs work with a diverse client population throughout the Kansas City Metro area. The JVS Career Navigation Program anticipates expanding career opportunities through the following activities:
- Conducting focus groups and surveys with staff and clients to identify the most sought after careers.
- Cultivating relationships with community partners (career centers, universities and licensing boards) to obtain existing career maps, career training & licensing guidelines and identify what reasonable modifications can be obtained to increase accessibility to obtain credentialing and skills.
- Developing detailed Career Maps for various professional careers. Guides will include multiple components:
- How the profession is organized (regulations, employment opportunities and stepping stones)
- Eligibility for licensing if applicable (process flow chart, certification requirements & timeline, internship requirements, background requirements, documentation requirements)
- Tests (test procedures & basic characteristics; specific test information including number of questions, time period, how often it’s offered; test components, scoring)
- Time & Costs (hypothetical scenarios of obtaining training and/or licensing)
- Other careers & credentials that are comparable to this field
- Beyond training & licensing (maintaining licensure, joining a professional association, reciprocity)
- Important Links (training/licensing & regulation, credentialing organizations, testing)
- Assisting Individual Clients to develop their own career map & connect with educational resources and mentoring program.
- Developing of a Connectors/Mentoring Program
- Based on client needs, they will either be placed with a connector (single meeting focused on networking opportunities) or placed with a mentor (focused on working with client regularly for a six month period of time)
- Clients will be based with connectors or mentors based on their area of professional interest and mentors area of expertise.
- Mentors may assist with:
- Studying for HiSet
- Studying for Testing
- FAFSA applications
This is a one year VISTA Service Opportunity. This position is a professional development and community service opportunity. As part of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, VISTA members receive a bi-weekly living stipend of $477. To learn more about serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA, visit www.kclibrary.org/vista.