Deaf and Hard of Hearing Employment Specialist
Required Licensures and/or Certifications
- Level 2 Kansas/Missouri Interpreter Certification and Licensure for Deaf and Hard of Hearing required; Level 3 or above preferred or working toward Certification/Licensure and obtain within three to six months of employment. Advancement strongly encouraged.
Required Work Experience
Minimum of two years work experience in job placement preferred or similar duties
Minimum of two years experience working with people with disabilities, especially persons who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, preferred
1) Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Strong knowledge and skill in American Sign Language.
- Strong interpreter skills.
- Knowledge of community resources and vocational services; familiarity with the community in order to monitor assessment sites.
- Knowledge of occupations, job skills and labor trends.
- Skill in assessing behaviors, barriers and work skills for appropriate plan development and service provision leading to economic self-sufficiency for program participants.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Advanced verbal and written skills.
- Excellent grammar, spelling, punctuation and proofreading skills and sufficient computer skills for data entry and word processing.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of physical, mental and emotional impairments and their effect on vocational adjustment sufficient to assist program participants with suitable service provision.
- Able to operate a motor vehicle. Must possess a valid Missouri or Kansas driver’s license and have valid and acceptable auto insurance coverage.